Thursday 15 December 2011

BP# 10- The Rest of the 5 Stages

I currently finished the book Sister Wife by Shelley Hrdlitchka. This story is about Unity. In Sister Wife the oldest daughter of the family, Celeste. Celeste loves Jon. A boy her age, though that is stricly forbidden in her religion. Celeste is forced to be married off when she turns 15 to an older man. Jon and Celeste get caught together and Jon leaves Unity. He invites Celeste to come with him. But she refuses. Celesete was worried that her father would be angry. She could feel her father's disapointment and pressuring for her to stay and be married at his wishes. Also, her mother was pregnant and her sisters needed her. The 'Special World' Celeste would go into would be our ordinary world. Celeste isn't even aloud to show her ankles that are hidden under her long dress and apron. She isn't fond of the idea of showing off skin in shorts, tshirts, jeans etc.
Throughout the book Celeste goes on an adventure of deciding what she is going to do with her life. Celeste occasionally goes to the river and builds inukshuks. That's where she meets Craig. Craig gives her a sense of hope that nothing is impossible. When Celeste has her first child she decides she must do everything she can to give her daughter the life she lives. But Celeste knows if she leaves, the Unity they could take her daughter.

This is my oppurtunity to start a new life. My only oppourtunity: I do not have to be a mother or wife. I could have a career. I have a choice.
But then I think of my father, and I close my eyes. I see the rage in his face, hear it in his voice. My resolve thinks just thinking about him. -Celeste. Sister Wife. Page 208-209. Shelley Hrdlitschka. 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment